Establishment of virus free elite mother block of apple in the tribal areas of Kinnaur and Lahaul Spiti in Himachal Pradesh
Principal Investigator : Dr. Santosh Watpade, IARI Regional Station, Shimla
Co-Principal Investigator : Dr K. K. Pramanick & Dr A K Shukla
Email : santoshpathology [at] gmail [dot] com Mob :+91-9805325107
Thrust Area : Sustainable Agriculture & Biofarming
Project Area : Thirteen villages of Kalpa, Nichar & Pooh Block and Three villages of Lahaul Block of Kinnaur and Lahaul-Spiti Districts respectively.
- Identification of elite mother plants from farmers’ field.
- Virus indexing to identify virus free elite mother plants and maintenance of database.
- Establishment of elite mother blocks in the fields of orchardists/nursery growers through participatory approach, and organize the awareness program about quality planting material.
- Capacity building on modern techniques of nursery management.
Click to View OBJECTIVELY VERIFIABLE INDICATORS (136 Kb)
- Total 205 fruit samples collected for laboratory analysis from 12 panchayats in three blocks of Kinnaur district.
- Collected fruit samples subjected for laboratory analysis using the following parameters (length, breadth, weight, ground color, over color, no. of lobes, fruit shape etc.)
- RT-PCR protocol was standardized for detection of four viruses.
- PCR based protocol was developed for detection of ASSVd
- Leaf samples brought from different panchayats were indexed using RT-PCR for ACLSV, ASGV, ASPV, ApMV, PNRSV, and a viroid ASSVd.
- Data on latitude, longitude and altitude was recorded for each plant sampled.
- Samples free from all viruses and viroid were identified in addition to those samples which were infected with a single virus, for screening purpose.
- A tentative list of farmers interested in growing nursery has been provided by NGO-HARP.
- 100% men and women trained from lower socio-economic strata.
- 16.2% women involved from all social classes in target group.
- 18 nurseries comprising virus-free elite mother plants established in both Lahaul Spiti and Kinnaur.
- 312 farmers trained on on modern technique of nursery management.
- Total 196 fruit samples from 12 panchayats in three blocks of Kinnaur district collected for laboratory analysis.
Last Updated: July 1, 2019