This project aims to intensify the conservation efforts in identified sites along the mainstem Ganga River and up-scale the conservation effort to basin level for aquatic biodiversity conservation and maintenance of ecosystem services for a clean Ganga.
- Strengthen the aquatic biodiversity conservation measures at six identified biodiversity hotspots along the Ganga River and monitor status of other areas.
- Explore the natural and assisted colonization of species of conservation significance to other stretches of mainstem Ganga River.
- Determine the current state of aquatic environment and biodiversity of the major tributaries and wetlands in Ganga basin.
- Identify direct and indirect drivers affecting the integrity of the aquatic environment and biodiversity in the Ganga basin.
- Pinpoint problematic areas and identify conservation priority zones.
- Strengthen/establish rescue and rehabilitation centres at strategic locations for aquatic species in distress.
- Involve communities and other stakeholders in the conservation process through capacity building, innovation and strengthening existing institutions.
- Garner support for aquatic biodiversity and Ganga conservation through education and outreach programs.
- Identify and analyse the hydro-socio-ecological relations in the river basin for efficient and targeted conservation action.
- Prepare an action plan to minimize the negative impacts of the direct and indirect drivers on the aquatic environment and biodiversity of the select tributaries of Ganga basin.
- Develop a centralized facility of laboratories and resource centre for aiding in science based management of the Ganga River and its tributaries.
These objectives will be covered under three components, viz.
- Science-based aquatic species conservation and maintenance of ecosystem services in the Ganga River basin.
- Capacity building of the Forest Department and other stakeholders in managing aquatic and wetland resources.
- Develop community based aquatic species conservation and outreach programmes for Ganga River basin.
Figure: Framework for conservation planning in the Ganga River basin
Figure: Components of the project
Last Updated: November 3, 2020