Dr. Ramesh Chinnasamy
Dr. Ramesh Chinnasamy, Ph.D.
Scientist - C
E-mail: rameshc [at] wii [dot] gov [dot] in
Ramesh completed his M.Sc., in Zoology from Presidency College (University of Madras), Tamil Nadu. In August 2007, he joined the Sálim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu as a ‘Research Fellow’ and carried out his Doctoral research on “Ecology of Endangered Indian Rock Python in Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur, Rajasthan” between 2008 and 2013. He also worked as a SRF from June 2012 to May 2013 in the project entitled “Cumulative Environmental Impact Assessment studies of Hydro-Electric Projects of Sutlej river basin in Himachal Pradesh” at SACON. Ramesh joined the Wildlife Institute of India (WII) as a ‘Project Associate’ in June 2013 to work on India’s 5th National Report to the Convention on Biological Diversity and National Biodiversity Action Plan projects. Subsequent to this he joined as a ‘Project Scientist’ in a WII-GIZ collaborative project in December 2014 and was involved in “Strengthening Capacity for Sustainable and Participatory management of Coastal and Marine Protected Areas in India”. Dr. Ramesh joined the WII’s faculty in March 2015.
He has been awarded Young Scientist - International travel grant from Science and Engineering Research Council- Department of Science and Technology and Centre for International Co-operation Science (promoted by Indian National Science Academy) in 2012 and presented his research paper in Seventh World Herpetology Congress at University of British Columbia, Canada. He is also a recipient of the Most proficient student award in field work (Prof. Gopala Iyer Prize), prestigious Darwin-Wallace award for the essay competition and Second Rank with Distinction (all three received from the Presidency College, 2005 -2007). He is also a topper of B. Sc., Zoology batch (2001 – 2004) with outstanding marks in C. N. College, Tamil Nadu.
His research interest includes various aspects of Ecology, Ethology, Human – Wildlife Interactions, Invasive Alien Species, Climate Change, Biodiversity Conservation and Costal & Marine Research.
- Ramesh, C., S.B. Shanthakumar, P.R. Arun, R.K. Sony, M. Murugesan, A. Das & S. Bhupathy (2015). Further confirmation for Platyceps rhodorachis (Jan, 1865) from India, with a note on feeding on Cyrtodactylus fasciolatus (Blyth, 1861). Herpetozoa 28 (1/2): 109 -112. ISSN: 1013-4425.
- Bhupathy, S., C. Ramesh & A. Bahuguna (2014). Food and feeding habit of Indian rock python in Keoladeo National Park, Rajasthan, India. Herpetological Journal 24(1): 59-64. ISSN: 0268-0130.
- Prakash, S., C. Ramesh & K. Sivakumar (2014). Techniques and Methods to Assess and Monitor Coastal Habitat in India. In Sivakumar, K (Ed.). Costal and Marine Protected Areas in India: Challenges and Way Forward, ENVIS Bulletin: Wildlife & Protected Areas. Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun – 248001, India. 15(1): 329 -342. ISSN: 0972-088X.
- Ramesh, C & S. Bhupathy (2013). Ecdysis in free ranging Indian Rock Pythons: A case study. Hamadryad 36 (2): 130-136. ISSN: 0972-205X.
- Ramesh, C & B. Chettri (2013). Seventh World Congress of Herpetology- 2012. ZOO’s Print, XXVIII (1): 22-23. ISSN: 0971-6378 (Print edition); 0973-2543 (Online edition); RNI 14:6.
- Ramesh, C & P. Nehru (2012). Influence of rainfall on the wetlands in Jalore district, Rajasthan. ENVIS Newsletter - on wetland ecosystems and inland wetlands, Sarovar Saurabh, 8 (2012): 7. ISSN:0972-3153.
- Nehru, P & C. Ramesh (2011). Role of ephemeral plants in wetlands with examples from Tamil Nadu. ENVIS Newsletter - on wetland ecosystems and inland wetlands, Sarovar Saurabh, 7 (2011): 7 - 8. ISSN:0972-3153.
- Ramesh, C & S. Bhupathy (2010). Breeding biology of Python molurus molurus in Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur, India. Herpetological Journal, 20: 157-163. ISSN: 0268-0130.
- Ramesh, C & S. Bhupathy (2010). A report on the unusual body weight of a hatchling Python molurus molurus. Reptile Rap, 10: 22-23. ISSN: 2230-7079.
- Ramesh, C & S. Bhupathy (2009). Yawning in Python molurus. Hamadryad, 34 (1): 179-180. ISSN: 0972-205X.
- India’s Vth National Report to the Convention on Biological Diversity, Ministry of Environment & Forests, New Delhi. .
- National Biodiversity Action Plan (2008): An addendum, Ministry of Environment & Forests, New Delhi. .
Last Updated: December 11, 2017