Bio-prospecting of Essential Oils
Principal Investigator : Dr. Vineet Kumar, Forest Research Institute, Dehradun.
Co-Principal Investigator : Dr. Pradeep Sharma, Forest Research Institute, Dehradun
Contact details :
Email : drvineet [at] gmail [dot] com
Tel No. : 0135-224210, 2752671
Thrust Area : Balancing Forest use & Conservation
Project Area : Dehradun, Chakrata and Dhanaulti in Uttarakhand.
Isolation of the essential oils from identified species
Physicochemical characterization of essential oils
Purification and separation of constituents
Structural analysis of constituents compounds
In our laboratory, essential oils were extracted from the leaves of Eucalyptus citridora and Cymbopogon citratus in 1.05 and 1.17 percent yield respectively. GC-MS analysis of the essential oil extracted from the E. citridora and C. citratus was carried out and chemical constituents were identified. 35 constituents were characterized from the Cymbopogon citratus essential oil. During the analysis it was observed that out of 35 compounds, six compounds were found as major constituents, 4 compounds as minor components whereas 25 compounds were present as traces. During the fractionation process it was envisaged that citronellal and citronellol which are major constituents which come initially when the oil was hydro-distilled. 38 constituents were characterized from the E. citridora essential oil. Four compounds were found as major constituents, three as minor compounds whereas, 38 compounds were found as trace compounds. The oil was also fractionated in the same manner and all the constituents of fractionated oils were characterized. Further, hydrosol obtained after extraction of essential oil from the E. citridora and C. citratus was also characterized by a unique process. The hydrosol obtained may also be utilized in varied applications as it is rich in important chemical constituents.
Click to View OBJECTIVELY VERIFIABLE INDICATORS (152 Kb)
- Isolation of the essential oils from identified species.
- Eucalyptus citridora and Cymbopogon citratus leaves were collected and authenticated
- Essential oil was extracted from the leaves of Eucalyptus citridora and Cymbopogon citratus in 1.05 and 1.17 % yield respectively.
- Physical-chemical characterization of essential oils.
- GC-MC analysis of the essential oil extracted from the Eucalyptus citridora and Cymbopogon citratus was carried out, and the constituents identified.
- 5 days' training on essential oils, perfumery and aromatherapy provided to 28 trainees
- Training programmes and prospective entrepreneurship will be organized in third year of the project as work is in progress.
- 1 essential oil distillation unit set up at FRI.
Last Updated: July 1, 2019