Implementation of e-Governance at Wildlife Institute of India
Objective for e-Governance at WII
- To provide reliable and updated information on wildlife resources in the country with special reference to species of conservation importance.
- To provide comprehensive information on Protected Area Network in the country.
- To enhance technical skills and capabilities of the network of stakeholders in the field of wildlife informatics.
- To electronically publish ENVIS bulletins, Newsletters, Annual reports, Technical and Scientific reports for wider dissemination.
- To automate academic, administrative and financial services of the Institute.
- To disseminate information on Internet and Intranet for stakeholders and general public.
Information Technology Infrastructure at WII
Information Technology, Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System facility is hallmark of WII for providing technology relevant for wildlife research, education and training. The facility is available for 24 hours to the faculty members, trainees/researchers/students and collaborators working with the Institute. Large number of Desktop Computer configured with updated Operating Systems and specialized analytical software for data processing and research purposes are made available in the dedicated lab. The computer facility is provided by wide array of hardware setup connected to Local Area Network (LAN). There are Intel Pentium Xeon servers for Internet, Intranet, database management and library automation services; workstations; Storage Area Network (SAN) and more than 300 nodes. Wi-Fi connectivity is provided in Hostels, Guest House, Classrooms, Auditorium, Board Room and Porta Cabin. The Institute has 15 Mbps (1:1) internet leased line connectivity. All the computers of the Institute are provided with internet and mailing services.
The Geo-informatics Laboratory i.e. Geographic Information System, Remote Sensing and Global Positioning System (GPS) technology at WII caters to research and training program of the Institute, and also the demand from field managers. The laboratory is equipped with software such as ArcGIS, ERDAS Imagine, Idrisi, GRASS and several open source software for landscape level analysis. A dedicated team is available for providing support and training in IT and Geo-informatics. Module on Remote Sensing and GIS is conducted for M.Sc, PG Diploma and Certificate Courses at WII, and hands-on training are also provided to other graduate, post-graduate students and interns.
The Institute has established two units of Video Conferencing (VC) Systems. The VC facility comprises of Polycom HDX 8000 VC systems with high definition cameras and 42” LED displays. These are based on IP and connected to the Institute’s internet leased line. These systems are been regularly used for conducting lectures, meetings, classes, interviews and presentations within the country and abroad. The VC systems is helpful in exposing WII students and faculty for wider knowledge acquisition and also reduce the cost of conducting courses and workshops.
Last Updated: August 13, 2016