Thrust Areas & Their Broad Objectives
Sustainable Agriculture & Bio-farming
• Ecology oriented economy generation; land based income -generating activities like:- off-season vegetable production, low cost nursery techniques
• Crop diversification, soil management, seed conservation and micro-irrigation techniques;
• Effective use of inputs, integrated farming systems, post-harvest technology including low-cost storage, processing, preservation and packaging with quality control;
• Food, fuel and fodder management and preservation techniques;
• Plant based herbicide and pesticides formulation;
• Livestock development in mixed crop farming system
Balancing Forest Use and Conservation
• S&T based integrated approach to regenerate and manage micro-ecosystems and biodiversity for sustainable livelihood base;
• Utilization of unutilized, underutilized and invasive biomass;
• Value addition to products including Non Timber Forest Produce (NTFP) based on traditional skills
• Minimizing pressure on forest resources and prevention of forest fire.
Sustainable Technology for Water Resource Management
• Exploration, harvesting, spring recharge and purification of water resources;
• Technology based sustainable watershed development and management focusing on land, water and bio-engineering plantations.
Sustainable Technology for Harnessing and Conserving Renewable Energy
• Biogas, watermills, water lifting devices, solar water heater, lantern and dryer, etc.
Disaster Management and Landslides Control
• Mountain risk engineering: Botanical cum mechanical treatments;
• Pre & Post Disaster Management: Preparedness for quick relief and rehabilitation.
Gender Sensitive Development
• Women related farm activities and drudgery reduction through S&T interventions;
• Women's health and nutritional care.
Rural Engineering and Technology Support Services
• To help the traditional artisans, e.g. Blacksmiths, Carpenters, Mason, etc. with a view to organizing them for better earning/reduced drudgery through innovative skill development, training programme and adaptive R&D;
• Use of local resources, skills and techniques for low cost construction with improved ventilation, domestic drainage and waste disposal;
• Design, develop, upgrade and maintain farm and non-farm tools and machinery;
• Traditional health care system based on local flora and knowledge system;
• Capacity building in the field of para-veterinary care;
• Low cost sanitation, waste management and recycling.
State-wise project area classification
A. Jammu and Kashmir
- Innovative technological interventions to address basic household needs of the tribal people of Zanskar valley.(Harnessing and conserving renewable energy)
- Appropriate technological interventions for addressing human-wildlife conflict in Pir Panjal, J&K.(Balancing forest use and conservation)
- Demonstration of technologies for improving productivity of rainfed area in Jammu district.(Water resource management)
- Technological intervention to improve production in dairy and poultry in rain fed areas of Jammu district.(Rural engineering and technology support services)
- Establishment of virus-free elite mother block of apple in the tribal areas of Kashmir and Lahaul Spiti in Himachal Pradesh.(Sustainable agriculture and bio-farming)
- Mainstreaming farmer’s varieties in Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.(Sustainable agriculture and bio-farming)
- Evaluation of shelf life and quality of solar dried products of mountain horticulture crops.(Harnessing and conserving renewable energy)
- Technological interventions and networking for basic community needs in mountains of Himachal Himalaya.(Harnessing and conserving renewable energy)
- Introducing bee-keeping mud hive technology in Wet-Temperate Zone (Sadar Mandi area) of Himachal Pradesh.(Balancing forest use and conservation)
- Value addition of traditional and underutilized bio-resources for functional food development.(Balancing forest use and conservation)
- Up-gradation of conventional river rope way crossing exist in rural/hilly terrains over river.(Rural engineering and technology support services)
- Use of local bio-resources in the hills for mass production and popularization of botanical bio-pesticides for the production of vegetables and flowers.(Rural engineering and technology support services)
- Empowering farming communities for conservation of plant genetic wealth of Uttarakhand and pre-breeding through community participation, protection of landraces and farmers varieties and benefit sharing.(Sustainable agriculture and bio-farming)
- Promotion of poly-house vegetable production technology for livelihood security in Champawat and Pithoragarh border districts of Uttarakhand.(Sustainable agriculture and bio-farming)
- Enhancement of livelihood options based on locally available resources in disaster affected villages in Kedar Valley, Uttarakhand.(Balancing forest use and conservation)
- Delivery of eco-friendly multi-hazard construction technologies and habitat solutions in mountain states.(Disaster management and landslide control)
- Bioprospecting of essential oils.(Rural engineering and technology support services)
- Improving livelihood and ecology in three disaster affected areas of Uttarakhand.(Gender sensitive development)
- Livelihood improvement and drudgery reduction through appropriate livestock technologies and biomass enhancement in Kumoun Himalayas.(Gender sensitive development).
- Dissemination and evaluation of technologies through networking of various institutes and organizations of mountain ecosystem.(Rural engineering and technology support services)
Last Updated: December 24, 2019